This simple but flavorful dip takes just minutes to make and is easily customizable. Add hot red pepper flakes or jarred Calabrian chiles for a bit of heat. Chopped brined olives (black or green) are good additions, too.
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs (such as basil, thyme, oregano, or chives), plus an additional sprig or two for garnish
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea), or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, olive oil, lemon juice (if using), honey, fresh herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Beat with a hand mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about one minute. You can also blend everything together in a food processor. Give the dip a taste, adding extra olive oil, lemon juice, honey, or salt and pepper, if needed.
Transfer to an attractive serving bowl, drizzle more olive oil on top, and garnish with fresh herbs. Serve with crackers, breadsticks, crostini, or fresh vegetables.
Serves 4 — Recipe adapted from aheadofthyme.com