There’s no faster breakfast (or snack) prep than a smoothie. While you might be tempted to pick one up at a drive-thru or favorite coffee haunt, when you make it yourself you can enhance puréed fruits to boost their healthful benefits. My recipe is loaded with protein, thanks to the yogurt, and healthy fats from EVOO of course, but also from fiber-rich flaxseed. I love the frosty taste of a smoothie made with frozen fruit, but you do need some liquid to get it started in a conventional blender — that’s where your milk preference comes in. Drink up!
- 1/2 cup dairy or non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 banana or 4 ounces frozen banana slices
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries or mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- Optional: stevia or your preferred sweetener, to taste
Fill your blender with the ingredients in the order given and process on high until the frozen fruit chunks are almost completely broken down. Taste and add your choice of sweetener if desired.
Yields 2 small servings