This is the perfect soup to make with farmstand sweet corn. If desired, garnish the soup with diced avocado or chopped cooked bacon.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 ears corn, husked
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Crusty bread, for serving
Heat the butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme, and cook until the vegetables are good and soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Dust the vegetables with flour and stir to coat everything well. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add the cream and the potatoes, bring to a boil and boil hard for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes break down (this will help to thicken the soup and give it a good texture).
Cut the corn kernels off the cobs and add to the soup. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the corn is soft, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with crusty bread.