Ken Gordon, a longtime veteran of our Member Services Team and a talented pastry chef, shared this recipe for a tasty skillet cake that is gluten-free, soy-free, and optionally dairy-free.
For the cake:
- Olive oil or butter for greasing the pan
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk or non-dairy milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- Basil whipped cream (optional), for serving
For the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet with olive oil or butter.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, olive oil, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined thoroughly. Transfer to the greased skillet.
Sprinkle the batter with the almonds and raw sugar.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Make the whipped cream: Whip the cream at high speed with the whisk attachment of an electric mixer until the cream thickens.
Add the sugar and continue to beat on high just until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the basil. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Simply Gluten Free Magazine, March/April 2020