This is an attractive seasonal salad, one that can be adapted to what you have on hand. Substitute a firm pear for the apple (an Asian pear is especially good) or fresh orange juice for the lemon juice.
For the salad:
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts (about 4 cups) 1 medium crisp apple, such as Honeycrisp or Gala, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup freshly shaved or shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/3 cup walnuts, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, or pepitas, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup minced fresh chives
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea), or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Rinse and pat dry the sprouts. Trim off the stems and remove and discard any dry or wilted leaves. Shave the brussels sprouts with your desired method (by hand, with a mandoline, or using the thin disk of a food processor) and place them in a large bowl.
Top the shaved brussels sprouts with the chopped apple,
cranberries, cheese, walnuts, and chives.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until emulsified. Taste for seasoning, adding more of any of the dressing ingredients to taste.
Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine.
Serves 4 to 6 — Recipe adapted from natashaskitchen.com