These cukes make a zesty side dish and a terrific addition to sandwiches, burgers, and salads. They’re ready in less than an hour, but the flavor will intensify the longer they marinate in the fridge (bring them back to room temperature before serving).
- 2 large cucumbers, trimmed, peel left on
- 1 large red onion
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 bell pepper, any color, cored and cut into thin rings
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons dill, minced
Use a mandoline or the thin slicing blade of your food processor to slice the cucumbers and red onions. Transfer them to a colander nestled in a large bowl and toss with the salt. Let sit for an hour to release some of their liquid. Rinse with cold water to remove extra salt and rinse out the bowl. Place the cucumbers and onions in the bowl along with the pepper rings. Add the olive oil, vinegar, and dill, and toss well. Allow the flavors to meld for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Yields 6 servings