Spicy or mild, chicken (or duck) sausages are a delicious change from the traditional pork. This dish also makes a great sandwich filling for a crusty baguette or roll.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces chicken sausages
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into small squares
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and halved if large
- 1/4 cup Apple Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
Heat a large skillet or frying pan. When hot, add the olive oil and sauté the sausages, browning them well on all sides. Add the peppers and mushrooms, and sauté over medium heat until tender. Deglaze (see Quick Kitchen Nugget in this week’s newsletter) the pan with the vinegar, and then add the water, cover, and steam-cook for about 5 minutes more, depending on the size of the sausages (the internal temperature of the sausages should read 165°F with an instant-read thermometer).
Yields 4 servings