Bitter escarole and tender butter lettuce are united by a bright-tasting citrus vinaigrette you’ll make again and again.
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 1 Granny Smith apple, quartered, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted, husked
Combine the vinegar and next 6 ingredients in small bowl. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season the dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Mix the remaining ingredients in very large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat.
Serves 8 — Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit, December 2009