Available during the fall and winter months, seedless Fuyu persimmons are prized throughout the world for their nuanced flavors (reminiscent of pear, pumpkin, and brown sugar) and lack of astringency. Olive oil gives this vitamin- and antioxidant-packed smoothie a rich mouthfeel.
- 2 ripe Fuyu persimmons
- 1 banana, frozen, peeled
- 1 cup almond, cashew, or other milk
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pomegranate seeds, for garnish (optional)
Wash the persimmons and remove the stems. Add the fruit, along with all other ingredients, to a blender and blend for one minute. Pour into a chilled glass. Top with pomegranate seeds, if desired.
Makes 1 smoothie — Recipe adapted from downshiftology.com