This sweet and tangy sauce is great on ribs as well as roast chicken—and it makes a terrific topping for your favorite style of burger!
- 3 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, such as Vinagre de Touriga Nacional
- 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons powdered yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated, or 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir to mix.
Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Yields about 4 cups