My wife, Meghan, and I enjoyed this simple salad on the first day of our first Chilean olive oil expedition, and we recreated it as soon as we returned home. For an equally delicious variation, substitute blueberries and chopped walnuts for the strawberries and almonds.
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, sliced into thin strips
- 1 quart ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey or more to taste
- Coarse kosher or sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Place the bacon in a cold skillet and bring the heat to medium. Cook the bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the bacon on paper towels and set aside. Arrange the spinach and strawberries in a large serving bowl.
Make the dressing: Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to mix. Taste and add more honey or salt or pepper as needed. Just before serving, drizzle the dressing over the salad, tossing gently to mix. Top with the reserved bacon and the almonds.
Yields 4 servings.