This colorful fall-inspired salad is a perfect lunch dish or first course for dinner.
- 8 small or 4 large yellow or red beets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, plus more for drizzling
- 4 cups arugula, mâche, or other greens
- 4 ounces goat cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 ounce shelled pistachios
Preheat your oven to 400°F. Trim the beets (no need to peel them) and toss with the olive oil and then transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast them until tender, up to one hour.
Out of the oven, roll up the beets in the parchment and allow them to sit for 10 minutes; this makes it easy to now take off the peel. Halve them and toss with another tablespoon of olive oil and the vinegar.
Divide the greens among four plates and then top with equal amounts of beets, goat cheese, and pistachios. Drizzle with more oil and vinegar.
Yields 4 servings