Spanish Marcona almonds, once obscure in the US, are now widely available. They are usually roasted in olive oil, then salted. If you cannot find them, substitute regular toasted almonds or hazelnuts.
- 1 1/2 pounds pencil-thin asparagus, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted, salted Marcona almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges, for serving
- 1 cup (about 2 ounces) shaved Manchego cheese
Preheat the oven to 450°F. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the asparagus with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 15 minutes, until tender.
Transfer the asparagus to a platter and drizzle with the lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter the cheese over the asparagus, sprinkle with the almonds, and serve with lemon wedges.
Serves 6 — Recipe adapted from Food and Wine, December 2003