Rich and creamy with a puddle of olive oil on top, these mashed potatoes make a perfect accompaniment to roast chicken. Use a ricer for the fluffiest texture.
- 2 pounds of good mashing potatoes, such as Yukon gold, peeled and cut in half
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated Manchego cheese, preferably aged
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives (optional)
Add the potatoes to a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, then return the potatoes to the pot; dry over low heat. Mash with a potato masher, or pass through a ricer.
In the meantime, heat the cream, milk, butter, salt, and olive oil in a small saucepan until warm. Gradually add the cream mixture to the potatoes, stirring or mashing to incorporate. Fold in the cheese. Taste, adding more salt if desired. Drizzle with additional olive oil. Top with chives, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6 — Recipe adapted from spanishsabores.com