Protein-packed quinoa is a nutrition powerhouse, rich in manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin B1, and folate. Tossed with corn, black beans, red bell pepper and herbs, it makes for an easy, colorful, healthy main or side!
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups flash-frozen yellow corn kernels, defrosted
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, ribbed, and diced
- 3 to 4 scallions, trimmed, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the stock and quinoa in a 1-1/2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the paprika and turmeric. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Add the corn and black beans and heat them through, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the olive oil, bell pepper, scallions, cilantro, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.
Yields 4 side dish or 2 main course servings