This vinaigrette is also delicious as a topping for bruschetta or pizza. And you can let it cool to room temperature and use it as a dressing on cold dishes as well as salads.
- 1 pound farfalle
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- 4 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
Cook the pasta as directed. While it’s cooking, heat a sauté pan over medium heat, and add two tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the shallots, and cook until softened, stirring frequently.
Add in the cherry tomatoes, and cook until they blister, about 5 minutes, pressing down on them with a wooden spoon to release their juices and smash them a bit. Add the vinegar and the rest of the olive oil, and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and remove from the heat.
Drain the pasta, top with the mozzarella and the cherry tomatoes, and toss well. Garnish with the chives and serve.
Yields 4 servings