Moist and fairly dense, this fruit-inflected cake is a perfect grand finale to a warm-weather meal. Blueberries can stand in for strawberries.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (about 5 1/4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided use
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lime zest, divided use
- 3 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice (from 2 limes), divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 1/4 cup honey
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch springform pan with olive oil. Line the bottom of the greased pan with parchment paper, and lightly grease the parchment; set the prepared pan aside.
Whisk together the flours, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or in a large bowl with an electric mixer) beat 1/2 cup of the sugar and the
eggs on medium-high until pale yellow and slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Beat in the 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1 teaspoon lime zest, 3 1/2 tablespoons of lime juice, and the vanilla. With the mixer running on low speed, gradually add the flour mixture until just incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the top is dark golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with crumbs (not wet batter) attached, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the outer ring, and invert the cake onto the wire rack. Remove the bottom of pan and the parchment; cool the cake completely, about 1 hour.
Stir together the strawberries, the remaining 1 teaspoon of lime zest, and the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar in a medium bowl. Let the fruit stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Whisk together the yogurt, cream, honey, and the remaining 1 teaspoon of lime juice until incorporated.
Top each cake slice with large spoonfuls of the yogurt mixture and strawberries.
Serves 6 — Recipe from foodandwine.com