Perfect for brunch or overnight guests, this low-carb breakfast goes together in minutes. It’s an excellent opportunity to introduce family or friends to the pleasures and versatility of fresh-pressed olive oil.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- more for drizzling
- 4 ounces diced pancetta
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus
- extra for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (1 to 2 cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt and pepper,
- or to taste
- 1/2 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 cup tomato sauce, preferably homemade
- 4 large cage-free eggs
- Chopped at-leaf parsley, for garnish
- Hot red pepper flakes,
- for garnish (optional)
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil in an 8-inch cast iron skillet or oven-safe pan for 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Sauté the pancetta and onion until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
Whisk together the almond milk and Parmesan cheese. Reserve extra cheese for topping.
Stir in the garlic, tomato, sea salt, pepper, tomato sauce, oregano, and basil. Pour the milk and the tomato mixture over the ingredients in the skillet.
With a spatula, create 4 wells in the mixture for the eggs. Crack an egg into each well without breaking the yolk. (You may want to crack the egg into a coffee cup first, then slip it into the well.)
Add any extra cheese on top of eggs and place the skillet in the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until the egg whites have set (the yolks will be somewhat runny).
Garnish with Italian parsley and red pepper flakes. Serve warm.
Serves 4 — Recipe adapted from cottercrunch.com