A specialty of Catalonia, these leek-like onions—traditionally grilled over olive wood fires and served with nutty, brick-red romesco—are messy but delightful!
- 2 bunches large spring onions or scallions, trimmed, or small leeks
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) to taste
- Romesco Sauce, for serving (recipe follows)
- Extra virgin olive oil, for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste, for serving
Preheat the grill or grill pan to high. (If desired, you can also use your oven’s broiler.)
When ready to cook, arrange the scallions on the hot grate and grill, turning with tongs, until charred all over, 8 to 10 minutes (scallions will take less time than leeks). Season the onions with plenty of salt as they cook. Wrap the charred onions in a thick layer of paper towels (or use newspaper as they do in Spain). Let rest for 10 minutes.
Unwrap the onions and pick away the charred skin and root end with your fingers. Serve warm with Romesco Sauce and olive oil.
Serves 4 — Recipe adapted from Planet Barbecue by Steven Raichlen (Workman, 2010)