In a hurry for dinner? This fresh herb crust takes just a few minutes to make and there’s no marinating time required. I like to use salmon filet rather than steaks because they’re almost bone free, but select the freshest cut available at the store.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill rack
- 1-1/2- to 2-pound salmon filet
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh mixed herbs including parsley, dill, and basil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Check the salmon for any hidden bones and pull them out with a pair of kitchen tweezers. Place the filet skin side down on an oiled grill rack. Set up your grill for direct heat.
Place the herbs and garlic in a food processor and run until finely chopped. Add the lemon juice and pulse briefly. With the machine running, drizzle in the olive oil and process until you get a paste.
Use a spatula or your fingers to spread the herb mixture over the salmon. Grill until the flesh is firm and opaque, between 5 and 10 minutes depending on thickness; it should reach 145°F on an instant read thermometer.
Yields 4-6 servings