These cupcakes are heady with a double dose of vanilla … in the sweet vanilla cake and the rich and creamy frosting, enhanced with just a hint of almond extract. Use a small offset spatula to mound the frosting in a cone shape, or use a pastry bag and small star tip for a fanciful effect. Either way, they’re luscious!
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups pastry flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla or the seeds of a vanilla bean
For the frosting:
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk, your choice of dairy or non-dairy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, more as needed
For the cupcakes: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk thoroughly. Add all the wet ingredients and whisk thoroughly again until the flour is fully incorporated. Use a large ice cream scoop to fill a 12-cup muffin tin. Bake until the tip of a sharp knife inserted in two or three of cupcakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let them cool completely.
While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting: In a large bowl or stand mixer, whisk together the mascarpone, olive oil, milk, and extracts until smooth. Beat in the sugar, a cup at a time, until the frosting reaches a spreadable consistency, adding more in 1/4 cup increments if needed. Chill briefly.
When the cupcakes are completely cool, spread on the frosting.
Yields 12 servings