No collection of Chilean recipes would be complete without pebre. Every cook, it seems, has their own version. If you want to tame the onion, soak it in cold water for about 30 minutes, then drain well. Serve the salsa with bread, meat, seafood, or eggs.
- 8 scallions, trimmed, white and green parts thinly sliced
- 4 fresh aji or serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 medium bunch fresh cilantro, leaves and tender stems chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) to taste
In a medium bowl, combine the scallions, peppers, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, water, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt. Cover and refrigerate if not using immediately.
Makes about 1 1/4 cups — Recipe courtesy of the Fresh-Pressed Olive Oil Club