This refreshing salad is ubiquitous throughout Chile and is routinely served in homes and restaurants alike.
- 2 heads Boston lettuce, leaves separated, washed, and dried3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, or more to taste
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, leaves only
- Optional ingredients:
- Canned or jarred hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- Sliced ripe avocado
- Sliced cucumbers
- Sliced fresh mushrooms
- Canned or jarred artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- Fresh green beans or haricots verts, trimmed, steamed until tender-crisp
Arrange the lettuce leaves, tomatoes, onions, and any of the optional ingredients, if desired, on a large plate or platter. Top with the cilantro leaves.
Make the vinaigrette: Combine the lemon juice and salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to mix. Whisk in the olive oil and adjust the seasonings, adding more lemon juice or salt or pepper if needed. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad just before serving.
Serves 6 — Recipe courtesy of the Fresh-Pressed Olive Oil Club