Garden-fresh carrots with feathery tops are preferred for this simple but colorful salad. It is perfect for weeknight dinners, potlucks, or picnics.
- 1 pound whole carrots, preferably with tops
- 1/2 cup golden or dark raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon or coarse-grained mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt, to taste
Remove the carrot tops and chop 2 tablespoons for the salad; add to a medium mixing bowl. (Save the remainder of the tops for vegetable stock, carrot top pesto, etc. You can substitute chopped parsley if carrots with tops are not available.) Peel the carrots and finely grate on a box grater or in a food processor.
Combine the carrots with the chopped carrot tops, raisins, if using, and chives.
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, honey, mustard, cumin, if using, and olive oil. Whisk to combine. Season to taste with salt. Add the dressing to the carrot mixture and toss gently to combine. For the best flavor, allow the salad to sit for 30 minutes, then transfer to a serving bowl. If covered and refrigerated, the salad will keep for several days.
Serves 4 — Recipe courtesy of the Fresh-Pressed Olive Oil Club