Like stirring risotto, caramelizing onions is a labor of love. But your patience will be rewarded when you taste this spectacular dip, so much better than commercial onion dips. Don’t skip the drizzle of olive oil on top!
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 5 pounds Spanish onions, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 16 ounces sour cream
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 small bunch chives, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot or skillet, warm the 4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook them until they’re very soft and golden brown, stirring as needed, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cool the onions to room temperature.
Place the onions, cream cheese, sour cream, and half the lemon juice and zest in the bowl of a food processor. Process until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. If desired, add more lemon zest and juice. Fold in most of the chives. Scrape the dip into a serving bowl and mound attractively. Drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining chives. Serve with vegetables, crackers, potato chips, or crostini.
Serves 6 to 8 — Recipe adapted from food52.com