Colorful and tangy, this is a salad you’ll be proud to serve to guests. Because of its soft texture, fresh goat cheese can be difficult to slice. We’ve discovered dental floss works well, especially if the cheese is chilled.
For the salad:
- 1 medium red beet
- 3 yellow beets
- One 4-ounce fresh goat cheese log, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
For the lemon and olive oil dressing:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Grated zest of 1/4 orange
- Pinch of Spanish smoked paprika (pimentón)
Place the beets in cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 20 minutes, until tender. Peel the beets and dice into bite-size chunks.
Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss the beets in the dressing while warm, then let cool to room temperature. Transfer to a serving dish and scatter with the goat cheese, then the chives.
Serves 4 — Recipe adapted from Classic Koffmann: 50 Years a Chef by Pierre Koffmann (Jacqui Small LLP, 2016)