This meatless, keto-friendly frittata can be thrown together in minutes, perfect for times when you have unexpected lunch or overnight guests. For a carnivorous version, add diced ham, cooked bacon, cooked breakfast sausage, or even slivered pepperoni. Great served with a simple green salad.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives, preferably oil-cured
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese, Gruyère, or other melting cheese, divided use
- 8 large eggs, preferably organic
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (see Note)
- 1/2 cup milk, cream, or half and half
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Put the olive oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet with an oven-proof handle and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, if using, and the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Let the mixture cool.
Sprinkle the olives and 3/4 cup of cheese evenly over the onion mixture.
Whisk the eggs until frothy in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the herbs, milk, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Give a final stir, then pour evenly over the onion mixture and cheese.
Place the frittata in the oven and bake until the edges begin to pull away from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. The last 5 minutes of cooking, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the frittata. Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into wedges for serving. (The frittata can also be served at room temperature.)
Note: Use a mix of tender herbs like parsley, chervil, basil, chives, or dill for this recipe.
Serves 4 to 6 — Recipe courtesy of the Fresh-Pressed Olive Oil Club