For a carb-free version of these colorful, festive skewers, replace the cheese tortellini with cherry tomatoes, marinated mushroom caps, or pepperoncini.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon,
- divided use
- 9 ounces fresh cheese tortellini
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces mozzarella balls, such as Ciliegine
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper akes
- 4 ounces sliced salami
- 1/4 pound roasted red peppers,
- cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 14 ounces marinated artichoke hearts,
- drained and cut into bite-size pieces
- Large brined green or black olives, or a mix
Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot of boiling water. Cook the tortellini according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Season the cooked tortellini with salt and pepper. Add the balsamic vinegar and 1/4 cup of olive oil and mix to combine. Set aside.
Marinate the mozzarella: Add the mozzarella balls to a small bowl along with the Italian seasoning, hot red pepper flakes, and the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Mix to combine and set aside.
Assemble by threading one piece each mozzarella, salami, roasted red pepper, tortellini, basil, artichoke heart, and olives on skewers.
Serves 4 to 6 — Recipe adapted from delish.com