My wife, Meghan, and I enjoyed this simple salad on the first day of our Chilean olive oil expedition, and we recreated it as soon as we returned to Asheville.
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, sliced
- into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 quart ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey, or more to taste
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
Place the bacon in a cold skillet and bring the heat to medium. Cook the bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain the bacon and reserve.
Place the spinach and strawberries in an attractive serving bowl.
Make the dressing: Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Whisk to mix. Taste, adding more honey or salt or pepper as needed. Just before serving, drizzle the dressing over the salad, tossing gently to mix. Top with the reserved bacon and almonds, if using.
Serves 4 — Recipe courtesy of the Fresh-Pressed Olive Oil Club