This is a great use for canned cannellini beans (or use garbanzos). Sprinkle with Spanish smoked paprika, if desired, before roasting.
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided use Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces arugula
- 3 ounces shaved Manchego cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
- One 1.6-ounce can Spanish anchovies, rolled into tight spirals, for garnish (optional)
Heat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels and spread the beans out to dry while the oven is heating.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Add the asparagus and blanch for
1 minute. Drain and quickly plunge the asparagus into an ice bath to cool. (This step also sets the green color.) Cut the spears lengthwise into 2-inch pieces.
Remove the paper towels and keep the beans on the baking sheet. Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over the beans, season with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and a few grinds of black pepper, and toss to fully coat. Transfer to the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until browned and crisp. Remove the beans from the baking sheet and cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, combine the arugula, asparagus, cheese, mint, and beans. Right before serving, slowly drizzle in about 3 tablespoons of olive oil and gently toss. Add a little more olive oil if the salad looks dry.
Spread the salad on a large platter and garnish with the anchovies, if using. Finish with flaky sea salt.
Serves 4 to 6 — Recipe adapted from Food52.com