Shrimp cocktail gets a much-needed makeover! Make the dip just before serving.
- 2 fresh jalapeños, stemmed and seeded
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1/2 cup at-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea), or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked and chilled jumbo prawns or shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Edible flowers, such as nasturtiums, for serving (optional)
Remove the stem, seeds, and veins, from the jalapeños. Finely dice one jalapeño. Set aside. Coarsely chop the remaining jalapeño and place in a blender with the avocado, sour cream, lime rind, 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, parsley, mint, cilantro, garlic, salt, and ground cumin.
With the motor running, add the olive oil and water in a slow, steady stream until smooth and well combined, scraping sides of blender once. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt if desired. Transfer to a serving bowl. Add 2 tablespoons red onion and most of the reserved diced jalapeño. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with the remaining onion and jalapeño.
Arrange the prawns on a serving platter. Scatter with the edible flowers, if using. Serve with the dip.
Serves 4 to 6 as an appetizer — Recipe adapted from taste.com.au