These muffins have a great crunch and are packed with whole grain goodness.
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 ounces almonds or walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 cup milk, your choice of dairy or plant-based
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or paste
Preheat your oven to 400ºF if conventional, 380ºF if convection. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, nuts, baking powder, sugar, stevia, cinnamon, and salt. Add the berries and toss to coat (this will help them stay well distributed in the batter).
In a separate bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the olive oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients over the flour mixture and use a spatula to fold them in just until no traces of flour remain.
Use a large ice cream scoop to fill a 12-muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes or until the tip of a knife comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then transfer the muffins to a rack to finish cooling. Store in a covered tin for up to two days and then refrigerate.
Yields 12 muffins