This is a recipe my wife, Meghan, and I enjoy as an appetizer when asparagus is in season. We use a Microplane to grate the lemon zest and garlic.
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, tough ends removed, preferably thicker stalks
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh and finely grated lemon zest 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely grated 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
Roast, grill, or blanch the asparagus until tender. (The time will depend on the thickness of the asparagus.) Set aside.
Make the aioli: Combine all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Cover and refrigerate if not using immediately. Transfer to an attractive bowl and serve with the asparagus.
Serves 2 — Recipe courtesy of the Fresh-Pressed Olive Oil Club