This pesto is also great with steamed, roasted, or grilled vegetables.
- 1 cup of basil leaves, loosely packed (see Note below)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Pinch of hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the basil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts, and hot red pepper flakes in a blender
- or food processor and pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
- Slowly add the olive oil while the machine is running, until the pesto is emulsified.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Use as a drizzling sauce on steak, burgers, chicken, shrimp, salmon, or spiral zucchini “noodles,” or as a marinade for chicken or shrimp.
Note: If desired, you can make it an herb blend rather than using only basil. I like thyme, flat-leaf parsley, and rosemary; any blend is delicious!
Makes about 2/3 cup — Recipe adapted from coderedlifestyle.com