This olive-oil based recipe turns chimichurri into an aioli, a highly flavored, garlicky mayonnaise. It’s great as a veggie dip, a condiment, and even a dressing for cold pasta salad.
- 1/4 cup best quality prepared mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, such as Vinaigre de Banyuls, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Combine everything except the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor and process until the garlic and herbs are finely chopped.
With the motor running, slowly drizzle the oil through the feed tube until the mixture is smooth.
Taste, adding more vinegar or salt as needed. If the mixture is too thick, add a few drops of water and process for a few seconds. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yields about a 1/2 cup