We always have a can of chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans or ceci beans) in our pantry for a quick side dish or salad. Rich in protein, fiber, and minerals, this is one versatile carbohydrate that satisfies hearty appetites.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 to 6 turns on a pepper mill (black peppercorns)
- One 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup seeded and diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
In a medium bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt, hot red pepper flakes, oregano, and black pepper. Incorporate well with a whisk, then add the chickpeas, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and basil. Let the salad marinate for 20 minutes, then serve.
Serves 2 — Recipe from Chef Bill Kim, Urbanbelly, Chicago, IL