Santiago’s signature sandwich is the chacarero, a mouth-stretching pileup of grilled steak, mashed avocado, tomato, green beans, and a shot of hot sauce on a soft roll. This unusual combination, chockful of healthy veggies, is served up at casual eateries all over the city, from lunch counters to beer halls. It’s equally delicious when made with grilled pork, chicken, or vegetables, and thanks to the olive oil-based marinade, guaranteed to be anything but ordinary!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless steak, such as rib eye, strip, or sirloin
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the rolls
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, plus whole leaves for serving
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans, julienned
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- 4 Kaiser rolls or other large soft rolls, sliced and lightly toasted
- Four thick slices ripe red tomato
- Thinly sliced jalapeños (optional)
- Hot sauce for serving
Place the steak in a resealable plastic bag along with 4 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice, the chopped cilantro, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Marinate, refrigerated, for 4 to 8 hours. Meanwhile, steam or boil the beans in salted water until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes; plunge them in ice water, then drain and set aside.
Mash the avocados with the remaining lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and set aside. Set up a grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high. Drain the steaks. Season well with salt and pepper and grill to medium-rare, turning once with tongs. Let rest for 5 minutes, and then thinly slice on a diagonal. Drizzle the cut sides of the rolls with olive oil. Thickly spread one-fourth of the avocado mixture on the top half of each bun. Divide the meat between the bottom halves of the buns. Top the meat with a tomato slice, jalapeños (if using), cilantro leaves, and green beans. Replace the top half of the bun and press lightly. Serve with hot sauce.
Yields 4 servings.